Environmental Responsibility – Less is More
Itella's environmental program
The key goal in Itella's environmental program is to cut its carbon dioxide emissions by 30% by 2020 (compared with 2007, in relation to turnover). The key methods for this include improving energy efficiency and using renewable energy sources with lower emissions.
These methods apply to nearly all of our activities:
- Transport: Eco-driving, route optimization, transport aggregation, increasing the proportion of alternative vehicles to 40% by 2020
- Buildings: Energy efficiency, introduction of all-green electricity
- Subcontracted transport's environmental requirements
- Voluntary compensation for emissions to encourage further emission reductions
- Providing customers with carbon-neutral products: Itella Green services for companies, Posti Green services for consumers
Pioneer in voluntary emissions trading
Our priority is to reduce Itella’s direct CO2 footprint and improve our processes accordingly. However, in order to reduce the remaining emissions, we have implemented the Itella Green service. The key idea is for Itella to compensate the carbon-dioxide emissions by financing certified climate projects so that a corresponding emissions quantity is saved elsewhere in the world.
Itella is the first postal company in the world to apply this CO2 compensation to all mail deliveries. Since February 2011, this feature is automatically included in all delivery services in Finland at no extra cost to the customers.